Saturday, August 12, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: CLUB DECEPTION by Sarah Skilton

CLUB DECEPTION
Sarah Skilton
Grand Central Publishing
Adult Mystery

Claire Fredericksson is the beating heart of CLUB DECEPTION, LA's most exclusive society of magicians. She's the Queen Bee of Magician WAGs ("Wives and Girlfriends"), and the real genius behind her philandering husband Jonathan's award-winning magic show, but her debilitating stage fright has kept her out of the limelight. Until Claire's life is upended by the arrival of two new women to the closed group of magicians' wives- Jessica, a young trophy wife with a secret; and Kaimi, an art expert looking for the long- lost Erdnase papers by posing as a girlfriend. When a magician rivalry and a stolen routine erupt into murder, the women must uncover the truth and set things right for the men they love. With a cast of endurance experts, Vegas stage stars, close-up card handlers and a pick-up artist or two this glamorous novel weaves a tale of murder and fame, and many, many illusions.

MY REVIEW:

Let me preface this review by stating up front that I do not normally read books like this, meaning books with profanity and graphic sex. And Sarah Skilton's CLUB DECEPTION has an excessive amount of both throughout the entire book.

However, Sarah is a friend of mine and a talented writer. I started off reading this for that reason alone. But in all honestly, I got sucked into the story very quickly. Yes, I cringed at all the f* words and sex (please tell me people don't really talk and live like that!!!) but CLUB DECEPTION is a top notch, can't-flip-those-pages-fast-enough whodunnit with mind-boggling plot twists and characters you can hate and love all at once. Normally takes me a month or two to get through a book, but this took me a week. I found myself looking for excuses to retire to my bed so I could sit up late and read. I ignored my kids so I could see what would happen next. Yikes!

If you don't mind reading "adult" fiction, you will love CLUB DECEPTION.  (Though if you prefer your books clean, like I do, you might want to think twice about picking this up.) And you don't have to be a fan of mystery or magic to love it. Skilton, who is married to a professional magician, has crafted a mesmerizing tangle of lives and lust all deliciously served on a platter of tricks and sleight of hand, both the characters' and her own.

Open the cover and be prepared to be completely seduced by CLUB DECEPTION.



CONTENT REVIEW:

Profanity - High
Sexuality - High (Graphic)
Violence - Moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment